Sunday, 26 June 2011

Back in the UK!

Well, it has to take a trip back to the UK to get me blogging again! Where HAS the time gone!?

So the title has changed slightly. A bit of background history for you...Betty is the name of our 1972 early Bay VW camper. It's been a labour of love since we bought her 4 years ago. The saga that is Betty Red would have been a super subject for my blog had I been writing it at that time. Now is not the time to recount all that has happened as we have drawn a line under it all and moved on.
But in a nutshell:

- We have been through a strip of her lovely chrome accessories by the first restorer;

- Subjected to a string of lies coming from said restorer telling me the van was all good and ready with me booking a train ticket to collect what I thought would be a completed restoration;

- Said restorer getting into serious financial trouble and doing customers out of thousands (won't say how much we lost but we were relatively lucky - one guy with a gorgeous restored splitty lost at least 24,000);

- Hubby going to collect the van and having to push it on the trailer himself;

- An ensuing but failed court case to regain all losses including one 2 litre engine paid for in full;

- 4 engine explosions and 7 recovery trucks in the 4 weeks we were at home last summer, which tested our marriage and our sense of all rationality.

But we get the update on Friday that the restorer is happy with the van (apart from putting 340 fewer miles on it than he had hoped in order to really run it in to see that the engine doesn't explode again...).

BUT...

...someone has reversed into the van on a petrol forecourt.

I laughed.

It would have been hysterical and uncontrollable laughter had I not been in the middle of Boots chemist in Uckfield. Most of you know the complete nightmare that has been the evolution of Betty Red. Who, in my mind 4 years ago was a wonderful vision of happy family camping and general hippydom that I so love.



I’m a firm believer in what will be will be and I am wondering….and I hope the next 5 weeks with Betty will completely and utterly and truly prove me wrong…I am wondering if we are pushing and forcing something that shouldn’t be. Oh and I’ve found out this week that there is now a VW camper restorer in our old home town of Uckfield.


Watch this space but we’ve had nothing but bad luck with her and if this trip does not work out then a decision has to be made.

No comments: