...and judging by my research, we have gotten away lightly since we have been here.
We've just got back from a lovely weekend away and were ready to settle down with a cup of tea. Next thing we know the front door opens and there is a Muslimah standing in the doorway!! Door bell NOT rung, door NOT knocked!
She talks to the Captain and he calls me to join in and figure out what is being said. I understand Allah Khareem, daughter and khamsa...the penny drops...especially when she says in clear English with the universal money sign of rubbing her fingers and thumb together, "I need money". Oh...cr*p. What do we do??
She was a very pretty young woman in a simple abaya and hijab, nothing to suggest she was needy and in need of charity...should have raised alarm bells...but then I look around the door and there is a gorgeous little girl, probably no older than 2 years old.
We were so stunned that someone had actually come to our door that we gave her some money. I had gone back in to the living room to call my neighbour to see what she had done...she hadn't reached that side of the square...and the lady on the porch called out to say thank-you to me. And left, got on her mobile and then carried on. I only saw her call on one other house.
What would have she done if we were still upstairs unpacking? Or I was bathing the kids?
Newspapers advise you not to give money to the beggars in the car park - easy to do when it's not your space and you are in a public place. But when it is my own home and a stranger actually comes through the door uninvited makes us feel very uncomfortable. I am annoyed that we were put in a situation in our own home, in which we felt pressured into giving over money. What will she do if we say no? What is she going to do now that we have said yes? Is she going to tell her friends that the the naive expats in that house over there will give them money...?
I've asked hubby to talk to his Omani colleagues just to find out what is the done thing to do. Although I feel I know the answer as I've been on the internet this evening; I have never heard of door to door beggars and am rather shocked to read that it is a regular occurrence; everyone had a story to tell.
We've just got back from a lovely weekend away and were ready to settle down with a cup of tea. Next thing we know the front door opens and there is a Muslimah standing in the doorway!! Door bell NOT rung, door NOT knocked!
She talks to the Captain and he calls me to join in and figure out what is being said. I understand Allah Khareem, daughter and khamsa...the penny drops...especially when she says in clear English with the universal money sign of rubbing her fingers and thumb together, "I need money". Oh...cr*p. What do we do??
She was a very pretty young woman in a simple abaya and hijab, nothing to suggest she was needy and in need of charity...should have raised alarm bells...but then I look around the door and there is a gorgeous little girl, probably no older than 2 years old.
We were so stunned that someone had actually come to our door that we gave her some money. I had gone back in to the living room to call my neighbour to see what she had done...she hadn't reached that side of the square...and the lady on the porch called out to say thank-you to me. And left, got on her mobile and then carried on. I only saw her call on one other house.
What would have she done if we were still upstairs unpacking? Or I was bathing the kids?
Newspapers advise you not to give money to the beggars in the car park - easy to do when it's not your space and you are in a public place. But when it is my own home and a stranger actually comes through the door uninvited makes us feel very uncomfortable. I am annoyed that we were put in a situation in our own home, in which we felt pressured into giving over money. What will she do if we say no? What is she going to do now that we have said yes? Is she going to tell her friends that the the naive expats in that house over there will give them money...?
I've asked hubby to talk to his Omani colleagues just to find out what is the done thing to do. Although I feel I know the answer as I've been on the internet this evening; I have never heard of door to door beggars and am rather shocked to read that it is a regular occurrence; everyone had a story to tell.
5 comments:
Nat, we had the odd visitor before we moved onto the grove, but Mitch advised them to go to their local, `Mullah', don't think thats the right word??? if they are in desperate need!! they didn't come back again...x
If I show up at your door and ask for money... will you give it to me????
Maclean's: if you pitch up with a cute kid then yes, going by our track record, probably!
Rachel: that's what I'm going to do next time...I could have done with a lesson from Mitch on what to say! I read that someone had told the beggar that they could have 10 OMR if they came in and did her laundry!
If they're capable of walking around begging then they are capable of working. I really wish I had known about all this before...
Even though you've been here awhile, I think this makes you an official expat in Oman, it's like a passage of rights ;) I would say the right thing to do is whatever makes you feel like you did the right thing wether it's turfing her out or giving her a hand out.
I think you're right, it's been a relatively easy ride for us since we've been here and now I think this has opened our eyes a bit more! Another expat box has been ticked! Your second point is true...makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.
Post a Comment