...it'll all be clear in a moment...let me know if you have ever experienced a similar wobble of emotion.
My Nanny Dorrie left me her gorgeous green Husquvarna Automatic sewing machine when she passed away years ago.
It is beautiful in appearance and ability and basically because of the memories it evokes. I love it. But it has finally given up the ghost after 50-odd years of no-doubt hundreds of hours together in companiable silent creativity with my Nanny and with me.
My Mum and Dad were here last week and Dad, being an electrician by trade, had a look at it. (My Nanny D was his mum...so this no doubt brought back some memories for him - some of which he has recounted to me after he had returned home. Let's just say a few tears were shed this end as I remembered my nan also...).
He was the one who told me to just get rid of it. HOW can I make myself get rid of it?? This is the only thing I have of hers and she meant the world to me as a child. However, because of her I know how to knit and crochet and they're skills you can never get rid of.
My Nanny Dorrie left me her gorgeous green Husquvarna Automatic sewing machine when she passed away years ago.
It is beautiful in appearance and ability and basically because of the memories it evokes. I love it. But it has finally given up the ghost after 50-odd years of no-doubt hundreds of hours together in companiable silent creativity with my Nanny and with me.
| A pattern cover that was still in the case pocket... |
| Original manual and stitch combination dial. You find the stitch you want and it shows a combination of figures that set the dials need to be set to |
He was the one who told me to just get rid of it. HOW can I make myself get rid of it?? This is the only thing I have of hers and she meant the world to me as a child. However, because of her I know how to knit and crochet and they're skills you can never get rid of.
This feeling really plays havoc with my beliefs...I would like to not be attached to material things, when they break or get lost it makes me cross or sad. I tell myself the sewing machine is just an object; just because it's broken doesn't mean I'll forget my Nan...doesn't make it an easy belief of course...
BUT the machine was becoming a little dangerous....imagine the electrical workmanship if you will, in this country combined with a 99% metal machine...it makes for a peculiar buzzing, a distinct vibration and a couple of electric shocks for my Dad. So that's when he said not to use it and to get rid of it. He had a good point...my Nan would not want me to endanger myself.
But still, I can't get rid of it! I thought maybe my new one would fit in the case so at least I'd have something still...but it doesn't fit! I think I'll have to get one made.
In the meantime I'll make it look like an antique in my spare room, sat next to the old hand-operated Singer machine. That hasn't worked since I bought it. I think the Captain despairs...again.
![]() |
| Husqvarna make motorbikes too! What a bizarre combination! |
On the upside, I've bought one of my own...maybe another future heirloom...


1 comment:
I inherited one of the hand winding ones. Still works but I find it dreaful to use. Also that old metal iron, very dangerous thing, and the old ribbed washboard.
In an old farmouhouse we had there was also that first version of the washing machine. If you stuck your hand in it it would pull your arm right off.
my aunt put the washing board in her garden and arranged flowers around it.
I kept the sewing machine.
Post a Comment