It was, as far as we were concerned, the Ball of the season. However, it became apparent that it wasn’t significantly different to the others we had been to over the last year or so. However, I can never say no to a bit of glam, some heels, frills and lippy and a good chat and a dance with the girls. And this one was no different.
And maybe that is the cause of said Ball Fatigue…are they as special anymore if they almost merge?
The Trafalgar Ball was our Ball. I love the Naval ceremony and tradition and am very pleased that they maintain this at this event. Although it was a little stretched out it still made it distinguishable from the others. The parading of the Barron of Beef and the ceremony of the chocolate ships of the line. (Two big hunks are still in my fridge!)
Domestic Goddess and I talked about this; she is of the same mind as me – it’s all about the company you share the event with. I had a super time that night regardless of duration or the DJ’s failed new system, because of the crew we had on the table.
And of course I would probably say yes to the next invite!!!! Any excuse for afore-mentioned frills and heels! I always thought I had hung up my ball dresses for good when the Captain left the Mob.
Staying on the subject of Trafalgar, or military balls here in general – why are they not deemed as proper mess functions here? Maybe that would create more of a distinction between each. I would have worn my mess dress at the drop of the hat. And I’m sure the serving personnel would be fairly proud to as well. There is obviously a reason behind this broad decision.
Talking of Domestic Goddess – sad news….no extension to her posting has been given. And so another wonderful buddy of mine is to leave to head back to the UK. I know I’m new to this expat life but I do not think I will ever get used to the transient lifestyle. We are here indefinitely, as in no fixed term contract but most of our friends here are on fixed posting…serves us right for being Loan Service Lovers…and so we must endure this heartache probably every year! I still miss The Other Mrs. M so much…a month after she was gone I was getting all excited that she would be back off her hols soon! But no. Facebook has been great as I’ve seen pics of them in their new life…I’m such a wuss sometimes. And so we have Geordie Family leaving this December and then DG and troop next summer. We will be kicking the arse out of the next 9 months, that’s for sure.
Thank the stars we love this country so much, otherwise I’m not sure what I would do without the company!



3 comments:
Mrs Gee says....
... i completely feel for you. Life here is is also very transient, no sooner have you made good friends and then they're off. The faces at the school gate have changed considerably over the summer. It's hard aswell for the kids, A has just had his best friend move away. Hopefully new people will come in to fill the gap. xxxx
The Thin Red Line Balls produced some of the most memorable hangovers. Now the DJ hangs unused in a closet next to several single-use frocks and impractical shoes. Happy days. (www.LivinginOman.com)
My Thin Red Line experience was just as memorable it seems!
I trust Singapore is all you hope it will be. I am enjoying reading your Living in Oman blog.
Ah, impractical shoes...love 'em!
Post a Comment