So we've been back in the UK for nearly two weeks!
One of the things that I notice being back here is the reaction of people when I ask them how they are. One of the Costa baristas responded and returned the question, most others look blankly at me and think I’m That Special Person that every town has. Ha ha, I don’t mind! It’s been rather nice to see the faces of the counter staff light up because someone has stopped and asked how they are before getting down to ordering a coffee or paying for the shopping. That’s one thing I’ve gained from Oman for sure.
I’m reading ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ by Mitch Albom at the moment which has prompted a few maybe not revelations, but contemplations certainly. Staying on the subject of a cheerful greeting, Albom writes when greeted by his old lecturer so happily every week, “how much better would people get along if their first encounter each day were like this – instead of a grumble from a waitress, bus driver or a boss?” referring to how Morrie would really greet someone and listen “as if you were the only person in the world”. I plan to carry on greeting like this…but I wonder how long it’ll take for me to resume my typically British manner and grumble a ‘hello’ if anything at all!
Weather- it has varied between rain, 14C and partly cloudy and 24C (relatively cool but it was humid!). I wonder how Mimi, (Shy Rebellious Arab Chick LINK, not my sister!) is getting on! I haven’t been on the internet for so long that I can’t even check in to see how she is faring in the UK (she is here from Oman).
One of the things that I notice being back here is the reaction of people when I ask them how they are. One of the Costa baristas responded and returned the question, most others look blankly at me and think I’m That Special Person that every town has. Ha ha, I don’t mind! It’s been rather nice to see the faces of the counter staff light up because someone has stopped and asked how they are before getting down to ordering a coffee or paying for the shopping. That’s one thing I’ve gained from Oman for sure.
I’m reading ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ by Mitch Albom at the moment which has prompted a few maybe not revelations, but contemplations certainly. Staying on the subject of a cheerful greeting, Albom writes when greeted by his old lecturer so happily every week, “how much better would people get along if their first encounter each day were like this – instead of a grumble from a waitress, bus driver or a boss?” referring to how Morrie would really greet someone and listen “as if you were the only person in the world”. I plan to carry on greeting like this…but I wonder how long it’ll take for me to resume my typically British manner and grumble a ‘hello’ if anything at all!
Weather- it has varied between rain, 14C and partly cloudy and 24C (relatively cool but it was humid!). I wonder how Mimi, (Shy Rebellious Arab Chick LINK, not my sister!) is getting on! I haven’t been on the internet for so long that I can’t even check in to see how she is faring in the UK (she is here from Oman).
No comments:
Post a Comment