Thursday, 5 May 2011

EBC Day 11 + Amendment

Plan: Lobuche (elevation 4630 metres); walk approximately 5-6 hours




The early morning sunshine is welcome after a cold night. They'll wake up to a beautiful panorama of the peaks. They will be walking in the flanks of Awi Peak, above the village of Chola and carry on past Cholatse Lake. Beyond the lake the Chola Glacier flows from the saddle between the cliffs of Cholatse and Tawache.


The walk will continue to eventually join with the busy trail to Everest Base Camp itself. The slopes will be barren above the tree line and Cholatse, Lobuche and Pumari peaks will be in view. Rock cairns will be seen dedicated to the memory of the climbers who attempted the high mountains at Dugla Ridge.


Walking on to the moraine of Khumbu Glacier (the longest in Nepal) to Lobuche for the overnight camp, they will notice the drop in temperature as they are more exposed.



Amendment: I spoke to Hubby very briefly this afternoon. They are two days ahead of schedule! So this plan and blog are to be read just for interest's sake rather than definitive factual placing of them day to day! That's gone out of the window!

They are extremely tired now, I'm not surprised, it sounds like they've really gone for it. They went to see the actual Base Camp today rather than the planned morning excursion on the 7th May (Saturday). I think they'll have a few extra days back in Namche Bazaar. They had better rest and recuperate before flying back here to be thrown back to reality (well, as far as you can call living in Oman reality! ;-) )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your little updates. Each time though I can't help going, "Men!" and rolling my eyes haha. Hope hubby is having fun :D OB

x said...

My sentiments exactly sometimes! No matter what nationality, they're all the same!!
Thanks for reading the updates - he is having a super time. I got an email diary (short and sweet admittedly but still appreciated - will update online tomorrow). The others are rushing back a little - he just wants to slow down and savour the journey. BUT it's been an experience for him. Can't wait to see his photos!
Will PM you soon.

Anonymous said...

No worries :) you will have to send a few photos across. I'd love to see some scenic ones!