Thursday, 3 March 2011

Belated 'current' events update, other news

Sorry about the lack of any news via t’internet. Our connection was down for a few days. After an initial panic that the internet communication was down nationwide (a la Egypt par example) we wondered if the bill needed paying….and yes, that was the reason...oooooooooooops. Hahahahaha!!! I can laugh now!

So, what I am writing in this entry is basically to update my family and friends. Virtual friends/bloggers, please don’t expect to get any new gems of information from me, it’s merely to put everyone’s minds at rest at home. I have based it on what I have read in your blogs and also talking to friends here. I’ve taken the international media’s perception/writing on the situation with a pinch of salt, having worked in the media myself.

Blimey, they overplayed this one. It’s amazing how some journalists can word a sentence so as to make the readers think the world is falling around their ears. Cynical? Moi?

So I've been updating my Dad by text (due to 'curious' lack of internet (!)) and I've been saying that it's about unemployment basically so 50000 jobs have been created plus job seekers' benefits. The population lost all sympathy for the protesters because they have got violent. I tried to compare it to the students in the UK that protested recently. Some Omanis are calling for political reform but more to the sort the corruption in the ministries.

Other views that back this up:
'At the same time, some in Oman say that they were not challenging the rule of Sultan Qaboos but would like simply to improve their living conditions. “The Omanis love the Sultan and respect and consider him a father to them,” one commenter on the Facebook page. “This is only about a few demands and not a coup against the Sultan.”


Another said in a Facebook post: “We don’t live in fear. All we want are jobs, better salaries and economic reforms.”'

J. David Goodman contributed reporting from New York.

A recent article from Foreign Policy that's worth a read:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/03/01/omans_renaissance_man

I'm a bit concerned to hear that some of the protesters had come in from the U.A.E. to basically stir everyone up...

I love the title of Muscat Mutterings latest blog, "Well now that's all over, how about some football?”!! Kinda sums it up really!

Other news:
~~ A super week with the Gillies. So happy to see them and spend some quality time with them at last. It was great showing off our favourite bits of Oman....although it was a bit touch and go over the last couple of days what with local events! AND just so you know, Mrs. Gee made the Boot Camp!! Miss you all X

~~ 30 Seconds to Mars are coming to Muscat! (Sorry, Noora, still no Mumford and Sons!) But we're otherwise engaged so no rocking for me on the 10th March...

~~ Eeurgh....no other news!! A family trip up Wadi Shab is planned this weekend though!

Enjoy your weekends...

2 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Ahh but you will be rocking on the 10th lovely, just at a different venue and in a pretty dress x

x said...

Yes, rather than rocking and moshing, I'll be walking and dancing gracefully in my heels ;-D and my dubiously homemade dress! Oh, I can't wait...but I'm trying to forget it's your last TRLB.... :-(( X